Panasonic is a well-known name in the electronics industry, so it was inevitable that the company would also be part of the electric shaver industry. Panasonic is famous for offering feature-laden and sturdy products at very reasonable prices, and the Panasonic Milano ER-GB40-S follows that philosophy to the letter.
However, while it may technically be a hair and body trimmer, it’s arguably the best beard trimmer that you’ll find right now. It’s precisely this reason why Panasonic itself refers to it as a beard trimmer on its website rather than an all-around trimmer.
Features of the ER-GB40-S
- Let’s start with its most unique feature: it has 19 different hair length settings, from 1 to 10 mm with incremental jumps of half a millimeter. That means you can really get your beard to look exactly as you want. That goes for your body hair and the hair on your head as well, especially if you’re going for the neat military-like buzz cut.
- You can adjust the comb settings with a dial. You don’t have to bother about detaching and reattaching comb attachments.
- The Panasonic Milano is also a true wet and dry trimmer. Some brands call themselves this while actually not being waterproof, but with the ER-GB40-S you don’t have to worry about that. It’s completely waterproof, so you can use it while showering and clean it under running water. The unit contains water holes for the water to pass through as you do so.
- The precision blade cuts your hair at a 45 degree angle, for a clean and sharp trim.
- It comes with a convenient stand.
List Price: $69.99
Sale Price: $44.50
Pros and Cons of the ER-GB40-S
- First off, the 19 different trim settings are truly marvelous, and they give you all sorts of options as to how long your hair should be. Again, you get exactly what you want, and when you get that, then customer satisfaction is almost guaranteed.
- Other than being hands-free, this Panasonic Milano is all but doing the work for us, which means no more excuses for us when the ladies find out about it. When you and they realize that these settings can be adjusted at the simple turn of a dial, you’ll both be really thanking Panasonic for the convenience.
- Add the fact that you can use it while in the shower, you can get rid of the hairs by just putting it under a faucet, which is just perfect. There’s even a bonus feature—it runs silently, so there’s no need to bother other people in the room who may still be sleeping.
- As for its other functions, yes you can use it for the hair on your head and for the rest of your body. Amazingly, even without that additional feature it already looks like a good buy. With it, it seems like a must-buy item.
While the positive features cover all the most important aspects, some of the drawbacks do prove to be somewhat annoying. It’s not that these negatives outweigh the positives (they absolutely do not), but they do provide a list of grievances that Panasonic should really address if they want the ER-GB40-S to be considered among the best of the best.
- First off, the charging time is, to put it mildly, ridiculous. While you get 50 minutes of use when fully charged, that comes only after you’ve charged it for 15 hours! That’s fifteen hours, in case you were wondering if that was a misprint of some sort.
- Your charging woes are compounded when you realize that the unit lights when you’re charging it, but it doesn’t give any indication when it is fully charged. You have to guess or take note when you plug it in.
- One Drawback is that the base is bulky. So, you will have a very sturdy based to hold it in but you have to plan for extra space on the counter.
- Finally, while you can clean it by holding it under running water, you’re supposed to oil the blade every time you use it. In fact, the recommendation in the manual states that you have to oil it before you use it, and then you have to oil it again when you’re done.
What Customers Are Saying about the Panasonic Milano ER-GB40-S
About half of the customers give the Panasonic Milano a perfect grade, and the other half give it a solid 4 out of five star rating. It helps that for some reason most of the customers don’t have unrealistic expectations about very close shaves, and that for most of them they know its true purpose. It’s for styling and trimming your beard, and when it comes to that function it is basically unparalleled in the industry.
They also mention other factors, such as how easy it is to use and how affordable it is, with some minor complaints here and there. On the whole though, they’re mostly happy with their purchase.
Should You Buy The Panasonic Milano ER-GB40-S?
As a facial and body shaver, it is better than average, and its value increases when you find it on a discount online, which is very easy to do. However, out of all the wonderful features this Panasonic Milano Series model offers, its 19 different trim settings easily takes the cake. You Can
You can really make sure that you get the beard length you want and you don’t have to settle for anything less. Add the ergonomics and the safety features, and what you have is the ultimate beard trimmer so far.
With the ER-GB40-S, you can be part of the Red Sox and still look good, and you can even give John Snow and Robb Stark of Game of Thrones a run for their money. Looking good with a beard has never been so easy until now.
Best selling Items on Amazon
Panasonic ER-GN30-K Nose, Ear & Facial Hair Trimmer Wet/Dry with Vortex Cleaning System
Panasonic ER-GN30-K vortex wet/dry nose and facial hair trimmer makes it easy for you to keep those embarrassing hairs in your nose and face nice and trimmed. This trimmer use... read more →
Prices are accurate as of July 28, 2014 4:50 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.