Straight razors, also known as open or cost true razors, are more than just a relic of a bygone era and are very popular among some wet shavers. While there is a lot to be said for the advances in technology, increasing the efficiency and the effectiveness of electric shavers many enjoy the control and natural feeling that using a straight razor provides.
Once a little experience is gained the user should be able to avoid any nicks or cuts. It is a lengthy process, however, and if an individual is willing to put in the time required to use a straight razor, it only makes sense that they are find the best straight razor available to them.
Some of the major companies still producing straight razors are Feather Classic Samurai, Parker Dovo, Thiers-Issard, and Böker. Here we will take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of each. I hope that you find the following informative and helpful in your search.
Top 10 Straight Razor Comparison Table 2017
|Razor Brand||Features||My Rating|
|(4.6 / 5)4.6 out of 5|
|(5.0 / 5)5.0 out of 5|
|(4.5 / 5)4.5 out of 5|
|(3.9 / 5)3.9 out of 5|
|(4.5 / 5)4.5 out of 5|
|(4.3 / 5)4.3 out of 5|
|(4.4 / 5)4.4 out of 5|
|(4.1 / 5)4.1 out of 5|
|(3.5 / 5)3.5 out of 5|
Feather Artist Club SS Straight Razor
The feather ss razor is one of the best out there and comes highly praised by men using it. The handle is made out of silicone resin and is heat resistant up to 135 degree. The blade itself is stainless steel. If you know anything about the feather company you know they make their blades with precision and take great pride in it.
The one thing to note about this straight razor is that it does not fold like the others do. The handle is really easy to hold and grip and the blade is shorter than others so you have complete control over the shave and cutting area with more accuracy.
The blade itself is spring mounted and is super easy to change. You simply squeeze the razor head and it pops out which makes it easy to clean as well. You will want to make sure you use the feather artist club razor blades with this as well.
For disaffecting the razor you can put it in boiling water or use ethanol to clean it. They do mention to not use sodium hypochlorite to clean it.
So, if you are looking for a professional straight razor that you can do your shaving with this comes highly recommended and you won’t be disappointed at all by buying the Feather Artist Club razor.
Dovo Straight Razors
Dovo straight razors are crafted in Germany and the manufacture prides itself on the exquisite nature of each and every product it produces. This results in a top grade product being produced.
Pros and Features:
- Dovo supply both premium straight razors and more mid-range priced razors in their line
- Their higher end razor have handles which are constructed with high quality material to avoid any slippage
- The length of the blades can vary from line to line but most users of straight razors advise starting out with a 5/8″ blade , but of course some opt for something a little bit longer. In general, the advice is the shorter the blade the easier it is to use
- The hollow blade of the Dovo razors has the advantage of letting you audibly hear each and every/to ensure you know you perform in the correct action
- Unfortunately, some of their mid-range razors only have plastic handles which may come as a disappointment to some.
In general, Dovo provide quality straight razors at a number of reasonable price points and if you’re just starting out or even an experienced straight razor user, you will not be disappointed if you decide to purchase a product in their line.
Thiers-Issard razors again come in a variety of different price points. These French manufactured straight razors are of the highest quality and are the choice of many experienced shavers along with high-end barbers.
Pros and Features:
- This company have been producing razors since 1884, so they are certainly not lacking any experience
- They use only Sheffield steel for the blades and pride themselves on using quality materials throughout
- The razors are designed in a very artistic manner
- Thiers-Issard produce some of the most beautiful and artistic looking straight razors out there and some of their limited editions can resell to many times their retail value
- Again aspects like the handle and the blade length can vary from razor to razor, but many of their higher end razors come with a 7/8″ wide blade which is the preferred choice of many barbers
- Slightly more expensive that than the Dovo straight edge razor due to the more intricate and fashionable design
If you’re looking for a nice looking straight razor, then look no further. Basically, this is the executive’s choice of straight razors so if quality and looks are what you are after then choosing a product from Thiers-Issard won’t leave you disappointed.
Boker is German company are also known for their high quality hunting knives, but you can rest assured that they also produce a fantastic straight razor.
- Like the other manufacturers referred to here, Böker produce razors at different price points with some line such as the Damascus fetching as much as €700 or over $1000. Even the cheaper ones, like the King Cutter, are still quite expensive
If you are a newcomer you should definitely stick to buying the product new which will ensure it is shave ready. It can be quite difficult to source however. More experienced straight razor shavers may be more comfortable with purchasing a used Boker and there are some good deals out there.
Let’s look at the best selling amazon straight razor called the Classic Samurai CS-102 to wrap this up.
- The straight edge itself is made up of stainless steel that is surgical grade quality.
- This is great for anyone wanting to use it at home or barber shops
- It’s really easy to swap out your old blades with new ones.
- It has a rounded end on the handle to help minimize cuts.
- It comes with a plastic storage case.
The Samurai CS-102 is a bit heavier than plastic handle models because of it being made of all steel. The stainless steel handle is easy to grip so don’t worry about it slipping at all.
From the customer comments they were talking about the derby blades that came with it lasting 1-3 shaves max. This is not as good as the higher models but you are buying a cheaper straight edge razor with this option. So, you have to expect to spend a little bit more on the blades.
Parker Straight Edges
I thought I would mention this one so you have yet another choice that is on the lower end of price scale but yet has a ton of solid reviews on it showing it is a great razor to to buy.
- It’s professionally made of stainless steel.
- It has a rounded corner at the end of the blade for less cuts
- Changes blades is easy with the Snap/Lock blade holder
- You can use regular single blades or 1ngle edge blades or 1/2 double edge blade
This is another great option for your personal use at home or in a barber shop. I like the option of being able to use the 2 different type of blades has a nice feel to it and the fact that the snap lock feature secures the blade in place. You can read more about the customer comments on amazon here.
The Final Verdict
All three of the manufactures here produce a quality straight razor and anybody new to the world of straight razor shaving cannot go wrong with selecting a razor from any of their lines. For those accustomed to the world of straight razor shaving each of the mentioned manufacturers also produced some high-end collectible straight razors – might be worthy of your consideration.
If you have heard it enough, and have your mind made up, then why not click on your chosen link below to find out more about these fantastic straight edge razors.